Wednesday, May 21

spoke WAY too soon ...

So ... a little update on Operation Transition to Crib. I never should have said we thought success was on the horizon. I am currently sitting at my desk with use of both hands (mid-afternoon, and it's the first time of the day) listening to a recording of our vacuum while little L finally let me put him down. Since my last post, little L decided that he was, once again, going to show us who was boss. Sad to say, the baby won. For some reason little L has become extremely colicky these past few days and has given us a greater appreciation for all those parents who have to go through this! It just breaks my heart to see him so upset, and I'm hoping that this is only a phase he is going through. Nevertheless, the sound of the vacuum is the only thing that will calm him down. I feel like it's one of those one-step-forward-two-steps-back things (although isn't it supposed to be two-steps-forward-one-step-back?). He actually had a night maybe a week ago of sleeping four and a half hours. It was pure bliss. Now, we get one good stretch of three hours and it's back to every two after that. Sad, but true. Surprisingly, you do what you need to do; you pray for strength and you somehow find it in you to keep going. Ryan has been a HUGE help after he gets home from school, and I am so grateful for that! I'm hoping that the reason for this colicky phase is something easily remedied - like something in my diet or whatnot - but in the meantime, I just keep hitting repeat on the vacuum sound. :) Better than pushing the dang thing while holding him ... although I must say our carpet has never been cleaner!

5 comments:

Angela said...

That last line is pretty funny :) Oh Heath, hang in there. I hope things get better soon. I hope "The happpiest baby on the block" book is helping. There are good advices there. We love you.

Brad and Erica said...

You've probably already tried this, but if he likes the vacuum, he might also like the blow-dryer. Annika loves it, especially when she gets her diaper changed. (We started using it to help her get rid of a bad diaper rash.) Now we use it sometimes to get her to calm down when she is really upset. The sound plus the warm air helps. Just a thought -- it sounds like you guys are doing great -- good luck and I hope you get some sleep!

Erica

Tiffany said...

Hey- my co-worker plays a CD that just plays white noise and that's what they use to put their little boy to sleep all the time. I still haven't sent that package to you guys so I could burn you a copy if you want. (It's a little easier than switching on an appliance if you know what I mean.)

P.S. Dave will be calling soon about summer plans

Traci said...

Oh I remember those days! I remember one day when Anna was crying and I turned the faucet on and she calmed down. We also tried the blow dryer. I had desparate times in the middle of the night when I would somehow fall asleep frantically searching Healthy Sleep Habbits for a Healthy Child (something like that)for any tidbit that would magically make her sleep. When she got a few months older, I figured out that Anna would calm down when I sang to her. Then I dug my primary CD's out and put one in a CD player in her room on repeat. It seemed to be fairly effective. We still put her down for naps with her primary CD on. I'm sure things will get better for you guys soon!

Ellen said...

I'm totally with you on the colicky thing... Amelia is usually VERY happy but recently has decided in the evening that she wants to be inconsolable! Last night was especially bad! Oh, and if it makes you feel any better, she recently went from averaging about 4.5 hours between feedings (sometimes more at night... one time she went 8!! 6 was sleep! It ROCKED!) to 3 on the nose! I'm hoping it's a growth spurt and that she'll go back to the usually, but so far, no such luck!

Good luck to you! Man, this is hard work, no?