There was a dramatic difference in our home last night.
Let me give you some background information first. As you may know, we took an extremely long vacation earlier this summer. We loved it - L loved it. He seemed to be better adjusted during the vacation than his parents were! I started to think all those horror stories of traveling with a baby were not true, or at least that my baby wouldn't be like that. Oh little naive mother that I am.
The first night we were home, L woke up every three hours on the dot. I would feed him and help him fall back asleep. This happened for a full week. No problem, I knew it was apart of the adjusting back to normal life. (Mind you, before and during our vacation he would only wake up once - maybe twice - a night. That was easy - I could handle it)
After the full week, like clockwork, L started waking up every two hours on the dot. Same process, with sometimes trying to simply soothe him without nursing. This again happened for a full week. I was starting to question L's loyalty to me, and begin to worry that he delighted in only giving me an hour and a half worth of sleep at a time. He would smile every time he saw me! Doesn't this kid get it?
We're now home for two full weeks, and it's starting to take it's toll. But I have hope, thinking that he will return to his wonderful sleep habits soon. The next week was full of sporadic, unpredictable sleep. Sometimes he would wake up every hour, every other hour, sometimes every half hour. Once he actually went four hours - it was pure bliss! We had a doctor's appointment scheduled this week, and she said she normally gives infants three weeks to recover from a vacation. Considering how healthy (aka: huge, gigantic, chunky, plump, etc. - you get the idea!) L was, Dr. Gray said that he had every reason to sleep through the night, and suggested we might need to use some tough love to teach him that.
Oh - forgot to mention one small detail. Since the first day coming home, he had only taking 3-4 half hour naps during the day as well. 30 minutes exactly. Like an egg timer.
Cry it out. We'd heard it before, and read about it, and thought a lot about it. I had tried to do it other ways, and it really just was not working for this kid. I had been talking to friends about it for weeks by now, and finally felt justified by L's pediatrician that it needed to happen - for the sanity of everyone in our home! Ryan and I talked about it a lot and discussed how we wanted to do it. Finally after kind of trying it, and it not working, we set up some hard ground rules.
This was the dramatic difference in our home last night. Ever since the day L was born - actually, while I was still pregnant even! - he controlled us. We wanted it that way, and that's what newborns do. They tell you when they're hungry, dirty, or sleepy. And it's your job as a parent to trust that feedback and fix the problem. I was used to having my sleep be dictated by him, and honestly, I wanted it to be that way for a longer time. As much as I grumbled about getting up in the middle of the night, it was so fulfilling to be needed that badly. I love being needed like that.
But for the first time last night, Ry and I as parents (it's finally starting to sink in now) called the shots. The control baton was handed to us, and we ran with it. I did the normal bedtime routine with L, laid him down in his crib, and closed the door. We turned off the monitor, turned up the fan in our room, and went to sleep. He slept for more than three hours - because that's when we went to bed. I was a little restless throughout the night. At one point, I got up to pump (sorry if this is too personal - it had to be done!). L was screaming. I sat in the bathroom and listened to him as I pumped. Once I was done, he was still fussy, but definitely not screaming. I quietly gave him his pacifier trying not to touch him, and he immediately fell asleep. I went back to bed. The next time I fully woke up, it was seven in the morning. I'm positive that L woke up multiple times - but we left it up to him to fall back asleep.
In charge. I always knew that parents were in charge. Growing up that's the first thing you learn! So naturally, I assumed that one day I would be in charge as well. I don't think I ever wanted it to happen this early! I was scared to finally admit that I was telling L no, and calling the shots. I realize that after over three full weeks of horrible sleep at night and almost no sleep during the day, this was a good move to make. But it was a scary one. Not so much because I didn't want to hurt him emotionally or physically (I knew he was tough, and had enough food stored up to last him for a long time!); but because that meant I was finally in charge.
Funny, huh? As you grow up, you slowly start to realize that you are in charge of yourself. Especially going to college, you're definitely in charge of yourself. But to be in charge of someone else?! Someone who is so little, and who has and continues to be dependent on you for their daily needs?! I'm telling this little baby what to do?! It terrified me.
I better go - L just woke up from his nap. It was two full hours. Maybe this cry it out thing will work after all. :) Wish us luck.
17 comments:
Good luck Heather! What a well-written post; you described how I have felt many times so well. You want to be needed, but at the same time, you really want to sleep. You want them to grow up, and yet you hate to see your baby get bigger and more independent. I hope that he starts to sleep a little better -- I think you will all be happier with some more sleep. Keep us posted on how it goes!
good job you guys! it's hard but it's the best thing for him. you can do it!
I am SO proud of you guys! It's insane, isn't it?
We used to have Amelia's monitor turned on at night and then I realized that I was jumping up every time she made a tiny peep, and that these peeps didn't mean that she needed me. (She is a noisy sleeper.) I hardly ever use my monitor these days. Ha.
I'm glad that the cry it out thing worked. I guess I am a bit more a of selfish mommy than you! I was ALL about MY sleep!! hahaha! Hope it continues to work for you!
Good luck! I'm pulling for you!
Hey, that's our pediatrician, too! I love her. She's so down to earth. Anyway, you all are faster on this than we were. Benjamin was 10 months old before we finally succumbed and that was mostly because we'd both lost the power of speech because we were too tired to form sentences. (Of course, Todd had to pin me down on to the bed to keep me from getting up to get the baby after THREE HOURS of crying. The good news is it's way easier with other kids.) good luck!
Heather, I enjoyed your post. I have to say I haven't always felt the exact way, but in some ways, I have. I think it's good for them to learn to sleep though-for everyone's sanity, including their own. Good luck with more nights full of sleep. :)
Congratulations Mom and Dad!!
Good job guys! As long as they are old enough, I say the earlier they practice soothing themselves the better. We did the let them cry for 5 min, soothe, leave; let them cry for 10 min, soothe, leave etc. We started it when she was 4 months old and within two weeks we could just set her in her crib and she wouldn't wake up until 6 or 7 AM to eat and then go back to sleep until 10 AM. It's hard to hear them cry like that but it's much easier in the long run. My sister didn't do that and when her baby was 15 months old she would have to wake up to nurse her back to sleep a couple times at night. So keep up the good work! Sorry about the long comment. :/
You are figuring this out much earlier than most! It works different for everyone. Good Luck!
Cute blog!
Good for you. Its so hard, but worth it!!
Wow Heather, great post! What the heck am I getting into? You sound like you're a great mom. You might have to give me some pointers. And, by the way, L is one good lookin kid!
P.S. Heather - you asked about photography. If you're looking for a great camera I'd suggest a canon rebel xti. It's relatively cheap and takes great pictures. Other than that, my only advice is to learn photoshop. It's worth it! Good luck and enjoy. Photography is so fun!
Heather, I hope things are continuing to go well in the sleep department. My favorite part of this post was learning that you knew, when you were growing up, that your parents were in charge. Somehow, that didn't always come across..... :-)
Give L a kiss for me!
wow, Heather! I don't know what to say... I guess I'm in for a fun time, eh? Sounds like you are a wonderful mom and good at being in charge of someone else. I hope all is going well still! Sleep it up, Lil L-boy!
This is Angela. Dave left a comment the other night and it's not here, hmm. He actually wrote it right when I put Bailey in bed. She was crying in her crib because I decided not to nurse anymore but that's another story. I felt bad leaving Bailey crying for the first few days but it doesn't bother me anymore. It's usually for only a minute or two. I'm sure you and baby L will get used to it too.
I read you comment on my blog. It made me laugh. He really is trying to catch up.
We love and miss you guys! Good luck! And thanks for leaving comments in our blog, we love them!
OH, I am so happy for you! Way to go. It is so weird, this growing up thing. He is such a doll. AND I know what you mean about grumbling about getting up, but then loving being needed and that quiet time at night with a newborn is just special. BUT so is sleep. We recently started time-outs with Zach and I realized that I have to teach this kid. I am in charge, not him...weird...
Yeah, we call it post-vacation "boot camp" It's the pits but it's the price we pay for a little fun I guess ;)
Post a Comment