Monday, September 22

the black name tag

In our church, young adults are asked to serve full-time missions.  It is a time when you leave home, family, friends, jobs, school, careers, everything to go serve the Lord. You are assigned to a specific area in the world, and you share the gospel to all who are willing to listen. It is a time of hard work, individual growth, constant service, and devotion to Heavenly Father.

As I was working on my garden this past week, I was outside digging on Thursday night. The soil was incredibly hard and I had been digging for the past four days much to my sore body's disappointment. My neighbor friends helped me every day, but being ages three and five, they might have slowed the process more than anything else. By Thursday night I was feeling a little frustrated that I wasn't seeing more progress, and that I had been working so hard and still just half way done. 

Two missionaries came out of our neighbor's house, and came up to me. "We have 15 minutes before our next appointment. Can we help you dig?" I laughed, and said that I was really okay, and that they wouldn't want to get all sweaty and dirty before they go teach a gospel discussion. But they persisted. They insisted that they help, and they would not take no for an answer. They took our two shovels (one of which was my five-year old neighbor's size), and they started digging.  They did more in 15 minutes than I had all day! It was so helpful and even though it was a small thing that they did, it made the world of difference to me!

It started me thinking. These young men were 19 - maybe 20 years old. I have a younger brother who is 19.  I hope he is as eager to help others as those missionaries were.  I hope that he is excited to serve a mission, and to make a difference in another's life. I hope that he works hard as a missionary and is committed to the work.  I hope that we all can learn how to serve others with more enthusiasm, with less thought of ourselves.  Those missionaries did not take no for an answer, and I think we all can be a little better at serving others without being asked.  

The black nametag that missionaries wear symbolizes a lot. By wearing that nametag, they are representing our church as a whole, but more importantly, they are representing Jesus Christ. They stand as witnesses of Him, and teach His gospel.  That nametag stands for truth, love, service, testimony, and compassion.  I learned a lot from two young men who wore that nametag that night, and I hope that I can be a better person because of it. I know that we are all far from perfect - including young missionaries.  But as we try to do what the Savior would do, and help others around us, we can all try a little harder to be a little better. 

2 comments:

Angela said...

I love that last line "try a little harder to be a little better". I'm so thankful for missionaries and their work. If it wasn't for their sincere desire to serve I wouldn't even know this wonderful Church.

Chels said...

It's only fair i that i get to blog stalk you now..:)