Sunday, April 12

boys rule

On Saturday we celebrated L's 1st birthday with some friends. The weather would have been *perfect* had the wind not been there ... but that's a lot to expect for Ohio. We had a great time in spite of the blustery day and our friends were awesome to stick it out with us! I thought of a fun idea to pattern at least the early birthdays after a children's book ... and for L's 1st birthday I choose:

When I was little (younger than 5), my family lived in Virginia at the end of a cul-de-sac. My memory might be wrong here (give me a break though, I was really young!), but I remember an older lady who lived in a white house who would read books to us young kids. Now I am not sure if she did this, or if it was my mom, or some other friend, but I somehow came to own a copy of this book along with a plush caterpillar that looked just like the very hungry caterpillar. You could even turn this caterpillar inside out to resemble a cocoon, and then you could pull out a butterfly from the inside of the caterpillar's head while inside the cocoon. It was basically amazing. I found it upon visiting my family over Christmas break, and I couldn't wait to give it to L! I figured this would be the best time! So that was my inspiration, and this is what I did with it:
{This is me right after a shower still getting ready. Cynthia - I stuck this one in for you since you wanted a picture of the red wall with frames up. :) Hope you enjoy.}
Very Hungry Caterpillar cake, and individual dirt cakes with gummy worms. We also had other gummy worms & ants (aka: raisins) to eat, along with Bug juice (aka: green koolaid - that actually tasted gross ... I am sorry to whoever drank it. One of those things that I should've tasted myself before offering it to other people!). I had so much fun doing all of this!! 
Here's me and the birthday boy. Yes, he is wearing pajamas and it is noon on a Saturday. We figured his sleeper would be the easiest thing to wear for the cake-eating-occasion so we could unzip him in one easy motion and get rid of the mess. However, due to the chilling wind, we decided to not have him eat the cake. So we played in our pajamas a little longer. :)

I had fun trying to take pictures of all the little kids playing on the playground ... here's a random collection: 
And last, but not least, the birthday boy himself. Still in pajamas. This might have been the only smile I got from him the entire time. Have I mentioned that new situations make him a little timid and nonsocial? Oh well ... I still love him!! 

Thanks to all of you for helping it be such a fun birthday for L!! Especially Ryan - he helped out a TON as I was working on the cake. Thanks love!!

16 comments:

Unknown said...

that cake looks awesome! what a cute theme :)

Angela said...

Heather, you are amazing! I need to call you to get some ideas for Bailey's B-day this year. I love the little dirt cakes! So fun! I wish we were there for L's birthday party. You'll have to give him a big birthday hug and a kiss for us!

Hey, It's me...Jessica said...

I was so impressed with your cake Heather! I thought you went the extra mile with the different shades of green. Great Detail!

Thanks for inviting us to the party! Happy Brithday Logan!

Cynthia said...

Absolutely wonderful! I love the cake...the dirt and worms, the whole theme thing! Very fun and creative! Nice job! Little L looks darling...even if he was a little overwhelmed! thanks for the red wall too! xo C

Jamie Lynn said...

The cake was amazing - and I enjoyed my dirt cup very, very much :) I love how I am the only adult that made it in with the kids pics! Thanks for inviting us it was so fun. L is a doll.

Tiffany said...

Mom of the year for you I'd say...what a cute little birthday! We totally wish we could have been there to celebrate. We'll talk to you soon!

Rebecca & Jeff said...

Heather, you never cease to amaze me! I wish you still lived close to I could continue learning from you! WOW! Looks like his birthday was a success. That cake is amazing! How lucky he is to have you as his mom! love you!

Jen said...

Wow Heather you are so talented! The party theme was adorable and the cake looks great!!! What a fun birthday!!! :)

bbfamwagon said...

Yes, you were all Very Hungry Caterpillar fans back in the day --way to carry that on to the next generation! The cake, dirt cups, worms and all, are cute as can be, and L of course is adorable. Happy Birthday, One-Year-Old!

The Richardsons said...

You are so amazing! That is the awesomest cake ever! It looks like you guys had a blast and little L is so stinkin cute! Happy Birthday!

Anonymous said...

That cake is awesome!!! You should post the recipe on my blog! seriously!!!

Eric

Jackie said...

The cake rocks! What a fun par-tay. High fives to the birthday boy!

Havalah Turner | Sisters, What! said...

awesome cake. What a fun idea, i'll have to remember it for the future.

Heather said...

Great idea, Heather. I may have to copy it for Jonathan's birthday.

Amelia said...

Such a cute cake!

Tara said...

You've easily trumped me for awesome cake-ness. :) And I remember that caterpillar toy of yours! Good times, good times. :) Way to pass it on. :)