Sunday, February 7

say it ain't so

This was our experience with the crazy snow storm that hit this past weekend. By far the best storm we've had all year, all things considered: amount of snow, level of snow-clearing in the roads, and the beautiful blue sky the next day. It didn't even feel like we were in Ohio anymore! 

I wanted cute family snow pictures, so R took a break from studying and we got all bundled up. L threw tantrum after tantrum while trying to put snow pants, coat, hat, gloves, and boots on; but we kept saying, "we're going outside and you're going to like it!"  
This is THE only normal looking picture I have to L the entire time. 
This is him not wanting to touch any snow - even with his boots.
He LOVES watching Daddy shovel, so I thought it would make him happy ... didn't really work.

Still didn't work.

Life is miserable!
We tried all sorts of things - especially playing in the snow ourselves - to try to warm him up to the idea. At one point R laid down and started making a snow angel ... 
... and this was L's reaction.

At one point we very firmly planted him on the snow sitting down and proceeded to lightly throw snow on his pants (once again, telling him, "you're going to have fun and you're going to like it!"), and he was just crying the entire time. Talking with a friend a few hours later, she commented on how she saw us playing with L in the snow and how cute we all looked throwing snow on him! I told him how miserable he was and that he was screaming bloody murder through it all, and she was so surprised! Just looking through the window she said it looked like we were having fun! It's amazing how the snow can muffle his screams ... 

In the end it was an exhausting excursion for R and I. Way too much work for what we got out of it. The last, futile attempt to entice L was for R to do a running dive into the snow in our back patio. Do you see the clearance he made? No tracks around him at all! Nevertheless, L continued to scream. 

I took him inside and off came all his clothes. Then he watched Daddy shovel a path to our garbage can, and laughed while watching him. Ooooohhhh it made me mad. 

L may have won this battle, but we will win the war. This kid is going to enjoy snow whether he wants to or not! It just may take a few more tries ... 

14 comments:

Rebecca & Jeff said...

HAHA!! This was how it was for us too. I'm sure he will love it someday. And when he does you can him all about how much he hated it.

joshandemily said...

I'm glad I'm not the only one with a kid that cries through the "fun" things we do! He is such a cutie pie even when he's screaming! If I had a quarter for every crying picture of Lydia I'd be RICH!

Angela said...

I know L, being cold is not fun =) ha ha

It looks like Ryan had a blast though =)

Lauren said...

you know, sometimes crying pictures are cuter than smiling pictures. we actually really liked Logan's upset face. So cute! You'll have him skiing in no time I'm sure.

Dave said...

That sounds like Bailey at the beach the first 10 times...she would freak out anytime any part of her touched the sand or water - you remember how she was at the lake in OH, right? Now she loves it (and the snow). We've all been sick this weekend, so we're just admiring the beauty from inside. Once he tastes his first face-shot he'll realize resistance is futile!

Jen said...

AHHAAHAHAHA you're gonna have a kid that hates skiing!!! (Probably not. He'll probably get over it by next year, at the latest. But still, that would be hilarious.)

bbfamwagon said...

Oh, these are great! My favorite shot is poor L crying, with outstretched arms. (Must have been a pretty heartless parent holding the camera!) I'm so glad you've preserved this for posterity!

Love you all!

the Danosaur said...

I got a kick out of this story. Hilarious! And I just saw your baby ticker... congratulations!!!

Jamie Lynn said...

I hate it when I'm trying to do something fun and they don't appreciate it :) Cute story!!!

Jackie said...

Omigoodness... hilarious!!

Bart and Krista said...

I know he's crying, but those pictures made me laugh. I'm sure he'll look back at those one day and smile. (Maybe it will take a while!)

Seidi said...

Oh Heather!! So funny. I laughed and laughed. Don't worry, Logan will learn to LOVE the snow. I'm sure of it. You guys are hilarious and we miss you so much! Good luck with everything!

Unknown said...

SOOOOOOO hilarious! I can't believe he didn't like it! He's such an opinionated boy, eh?

Tara said...

Heather, this is HILARIOUS! I LOVE it! I say live it up while you can - in a few years, your kids will be clamoring for snow play time - do you realize what that means? 20+ wet sopping mittens, (even with only 2 kids), countless dripping scarves, dirty school coats, puddles in your living room, boots lining the heating vents and 5 soggy beanies. And, of course, happy children with hot cocoa. You'll get there. :)