We {at least me, and I'm dragging Ry-guy along for the ride} have a goal to run in a Race for the Cure every year. Find last's year run here.
Here we are after the Race for the Cure 2012!
Hooray for happy pictures, because it helps us remember the good.
It doesn't take away the bad, like how 2 weeks ago I ran 15+ miles and this day I couldn't even run 3. Or how my knee was hurting so bad that I was literally hopping while I ran/jogged so I could propel myself farther with my left leg to make up for the lack of motion in my right. Or how I was experiencing so much frustration and pain about the fact that I couldn't do a measly 5k and wanted to run for the sake of running while Ry was determined {to the stubborn point} that we were sticking together and he was not going to run without me. He kept saying the point was to be together as a family, even if we were walking. And I was just mad that I had to walk and tried to push him to run and get a good time {literally, I did push him. Still didn't work}. Eventually I tried my best to stop being such a grouch and make the most of our time together and focus on the cause we were supporting. It hurt to walk the rest of the day. This knee injury has certainly messed up my game plans.
So no, the happy pictures don't take away the bad. They just help us focus on the good. And I am grateful for that.
The kids played in a Kids Zone area afterwards and we made our rounds for bananas and free pens. :)
And yes, this is how family pictures normally turn out. At least you can see the top of their heads to confirm they were there.
Just like last year, our neighborhood put on their annual Oktoberfest the same night as the race. The kids loved the dinner and bounce houses, and we all enjoyed seeing neighbors and playing together.
While we did finish the race together as a family, next year I'm running the whole thing again with strength and gusto. That is unless L-man is too big for that stroller and runs with us. In that case I guess I might as well get used to the family pace and taking lots of breaks. Hopefully I'll be in a better mindset to appreciate it next year. :)
2 comments:
sorry you didn't get to be your competitive-self and strive for a time... but way to look at the positive!
What is this terrible knee injury? Are you doing okay? Did you just push too hard on that 15 mile run and then suffer for it afterwards?
I am sorry about your knee. You are amazing for not giving up and continue racing! And I am glad you all finished together! I ran like a turtle on a 5K some friends organized on Christmas Eve and Dave had to slow way down to make it with me.
Maybe we should plan a race all together next year when I am not pregnant and your knee is not bugging you.
Hope your knee feels better soon!
Post a Comment