Thursday, February 23

hair cuts

I've already explained how I move slow ... and as part of my coping mechanisms for that character trait I have learned that if I get an urge to do something that might be hard for me I better do it right away or else I won't do it. Sometimes this is not a good thing ...
 We have had some serious hair issues in this house. Both Daddy and son have just needed a typical cut which I always do for them. {you can see L's rat tail in a previous post while he's fixing his bike - it's genuine folks. His hair naturally creates a rat tail when it grows out. How lovely.} However, I have been scared to cut Lady-LE's hair because girls hair is a whole new ball game. So one night last week I got that feeling where I knew if I didn't do it right away then I would talk myself out of it. So I set up both kids in chairs with a movie playing and started on Lady-LE. 
I made some mistakes, but that is bound to happen with a child who was freaking out. I basically did a little bob cut, but left her hair as long as possible. Eventually I called it good, and then proceeded to cut L's hair while Lady-LE calmed down {strapped in her high chair still}. I was almost done with L when I looked over at Lady-LE and had the thought "you'd look so cute with bangs!" And that's where it all hit the fan. 
I simply couldn't stop myself, and don't know enough about hair cutting to know the rules of how to cut cute bangs {I was trying to avoid the big pie-slice wedge that is traditional}. So instead I just kept cutting, and ended up with almost the exact same hair cut I used to give L when he was this age: the bowl cut. 
Man alive I wish I had stopped myself, or just hesitated for a moment so I could plan it out. Ah, such is life. Her hair will grow fast {I'm convincing myself}, and she will forgive me. 
 By the time I was done, R was just getting home and I wanted to cry but all I could do was laugh. And boy did he laugh with me. We plunked both kids in the bath for clean-up, and it completely looked like two boys in the tub. More specifically, it looked like two versions of L: an 18-month version and a 3 year old version. We fed them some food afterwards for dinner and Lady-LE was so embarrassed she hid behind her plate for the majority of the meal. 
 Of course, the very next day she decided to be obsessed with hats.
Just my luck giving her a boy's hair cut! 
Obviously not the best picture, but just to show that when we put flowers in her hair and keep some of the bangs forward it kind of looks cute. 
 This was just yesterday - and I've gotten used to it now so it's not such a shock looking at her. I love seeing her eyes all the time, and I think she's still dang cute. But I am looking forward to growing her hair out and learning how to cut girls hair better. Any advice?? 
Not to leave L out, here is his new hair cut. Although it much less dramatic. :)
One more just for kicks - this is their favorite thing to do lately: ride bikes and push strollers. Sometimes at each other, even though I try to encourage more safe methods of playing together. I love the look on L's face even though it's out of focus. Cracks me up. 
I am grateful that kids are kids, and honestly don't care what they look like. Their only worry in the world is how to have fun. It's refreshing to know that, at least in this stage, all I have to do is keep food in their bellies and make 'em laugh and they think that I am the best. Even if I cut my daughter's hair to make her look like a boy, I am still the best mommy in the world to her right now. Thank goodness. 

9 comments:

the Danosaur said...

If it makes you feel any better, I had that same haircut until about 5th grade (and I still had a few friends). I have avoided cutting Maren's hair...until last week when she butched her bangs with the kid scissors she was playing with. A trim was definitely in order at that point, but it still looks ridiculous (to me at least). So you're right -- thanks heavens they are just kids and they don't care!

Joseph L. said...

:) Too funny! My kids have had their share of bad hair cuts, too -- do you remember Addie's faux hawk? Lady LE is gorgeous - doesn't matter what you do to her hair. :)

Tara said...

oops - that was me, not Joseph. but he likes Lady LE's hair, too. :)

ashley said...

Awww good job... I'm the sucker the pays 10-15 for a 'kid's cut' at one of those over-the-top cutesy places!!! And then I'm still not happy with what they do and I regret getting his hair cut for 2 weeks until it grows back... but I do like seeing his eyes... and your little LE does have some gorgeous eyes too!!! I always take it as a lesson in humility. Kids don't care what they look like, God doesn't care what we look like on the outside, so why do we stress over it so much?!

Lauren said...

I love it! It is a very cute bob! I'm lucky that Luke's hair is so forgiving...can't imagine how I would cut a girl's hair. Such a funny story though. I agree with just doing things as soon as you find a moment's courage. That's how most difficult tasks get done around here :)

Kelli said...

My vote is...take her to a cute place until she can sit still! LOL! =)

My favorite picture of this group is the one with the flower in her hair. Priceless.

Good thing she won't remember it...oh wait...she will see your post one day. =)

P.S. It's really not bad. We all had crazy hair cuts as kids.

Unknown said...

I think she looks pretty cute with that side flower! I've never cut Gwen's hair. I'm too chicken.

Angela said...

I love her hair! I think the bangs look super cute! I did have a good laugh though with the pictures of her covering herself with the plate and with the hat on. She is so cute!
And yes, you are an awesome mom! Love you lots!

bbfamwagon said...

I love it! I'm so glad you finally decided to take my advice to get that hair out of her eyes and give her a cut just like the one you had when you were her age! (And you said it wasn't the 80's anymore....)
Seriously, do you have a picture of yourself at age 2 or 3 that you could post? It's such a great cut! :-)