![]() |
| Does anyone else feel crazy insecure posting a picture of just themselves? I need someone else with me! |
-I don't like to have dance parties with the kids unless Ryan is home. He literally is the swing to my step, and I find that I'm not near as spontaneous without him as I am with him.
-This is not new to anyone who knows me, but I am incredibly long-winded. Ask me a question, and 10 minutes later I might finally get to the answer. I just don't know the difference between "full disclosure" (which I'm a huge advocate of) and let-me-give-you-all-the-un-important-details-that-some-what-relate-to-your-question. It's an issue I've had since I could talk.
-My mind is not witty or clever anymore. {Was it ever?} You know those people who are smart, and can make those smart-jokes that are really funny? Yup. Not me.
-Cooking and eating vegetables might be my lowest priority in the kitchen. I simply don't know how to eat half the vegetables out there. Need to work on this ...
-Sewing has found a dear place in my heart. While I am not skillful or talented at it, I am learning and I completely love it. I can create beautiful things that stay beautiful. It has been a revelatory process for me.
-Scheduled "play-dates" intimidate me. There, I said it. I see their purpose, and the benefits that can result; but I get all uncomfortable when one comes up. Call it insecurity, call it 'free-spirited', whatever. I just like spontaneity and flexibility when it comes to play with friends.
-Day dreaming is quickly becoming a favorite past time of mine. I love to just sit and let my thoughts wander and see where they take me. I don't make any grand discoveries or epiphanies. I just like to have complete thoughts that resolve on their own accord, rather than being interrupted by someone else. :)
-I "personalize" my children's bad behavior too often. When L was sent home from preschool the other day with a note saying that he had to be talked to three different times about hitting and pushing other children, my initial reaction was completely self-oriented and I experienced thoughts of embarrassment, fear of others' judgments, guilt, frustration at myself, disappointment, etc. I don't get defensive about my child and his poor choices (i.e. thinking that he's such a good boy he would never do such a thing); but rather, I get defensive about how this behavior reflects my parenting (or lack-thereof) and all the implications associated with that. I need to be better at seeing the opportunity to teach rather than focusing on the judgments of others. Let's just say that we're working on it, both L and I ... and it continues to be a work in progress. Man alive do I wish I had all the answers.
-I love pinterest, but we have a love/hate relationship. We are currently on a "break" - unless it's something that I have found on my own accord and want to remember. No more mindless surfing through friends' pins and boards {at least for a little bit}. The lines of reality and some-day get blurred too easily for me; and I often feel overwhelmed by all the possibilities, or even negative about the lack of these possibilities in my life right now. I hate feeling that 'woe is me' feeling, because it is absolutely for the birds. Rather, I chose to take control of how I make myself feel - and that includes limiting outside stimuli every once in a while. TV and social media easily and frequently fall in this category. I consider it a creative cleansing for my mind. Ahhh ... and breathe.
-Last but not least: I need to get candy OUT of this house. I am learning that I have little self-control when it comes to consuming sugar. Bleh. I hate how it makes me feel, yet it is so easy to just grab another piece. I need to make it harder. Does it always have to be feast or famine for me?! I guess so until I balance out a little.
Definitely a random list, and I could probably keep going if I wanted to. Has anyone else discovered that perhaps you're not as 'normal' as you thought you were? ha! While I don't want to be normal, I do have those longings of becoming better like my dear friends and family. What is beautiful about life is knowing your own shortcomings and seeing how many people love you through them. I love my life, simply because of the beautiful people I share it with. Life is good.


11 comments:
I think normal is a term people have for 'everyone else' :)
A self examination is hard to do, yet pretty enlightening. Realization is usually the first step toward change, if that's what you're looking for. though personally, I'm not sure that's such a good idea:) You are such a beautiful person Heather.
Love your thoughts. I relate to many of these personal revelations.
It's been a few years but I think my memory is pretty good. You are clever. I always thought so.
I think it's so revealing when someone writes a post like this and then I read through it and say "yep...yep...yep..." because so much of our human experience (even the negative parts) is a shared experience.
I totally feel you on the feast or famine thing. I have little self control, so when there are cookies in the house, you know who will walk buy 5 times in an afternoon and help herself to "just one more..." And that definitely applies to social media too. I wish it weren't so hard to curtail my bad habits!
I just have to 'ditto' Jes's remarks--I've always thought you were beautiful AND normal! Plus, I ADORE your verbal disclosure of ALL details--it is so endearing! and it makes me feel like you enjoy talking with me, so I don't think that is necessarily something you need to stop doing (unless someone is in a hurry, then maybe. But THEY asked!)
sorry to hear bout L's challenges. Gwen is pretty good in public, but man alive is she making me feel like a terrible mother at home! I sure wish she'd just obey and not ask why for LITERALLY EVERYTHING I say to her! I am less patient than I'd like to be and must be more of a disciplinarian than I'd like to be too. We're working on it.
Just wanted to say I REALLY miss you. I actually spent 2 hours this week looking at photos of NC destinations (and Boston and Maine and pretty much every beautiful place on the east coast) and daydreaming about a road trip to visit. But then I take a step back to reality and have to acknowledge that road trips with little ones aren't as enticing as they are as adults. Sigh. I'd love to see you though! Maybe after graduation and before intern year starts we can get away...
You're very inspiring Heather! I have had some self revelatory moments recently and some I'm not so happy about realizing and others I love (totally with you on the sewing thing!) But you are a beautiful person and have great insight into life! And you're family is absolutly beautiful too!
For me, there's something about moving to a new place that makes me realize a slew of new things about myself.
I applaud your self-discovery, and I hope you know I think you're pretty amazing.
Love your thoughts, and that is a GREAT picture of you. I hate posting pictures of myself too...unless they're so goofy I'm barely recognizable. :)
my goodness I miss you!!!! You are more beautiful every time I see you - how do you DO that?! That family picture is gorgeous too. I love reading your thoughts - you are so so sweet and wonderful. I love you!
What beautiful pictures! VAVA VOOM! It was so fun to read this. I secretly love it when people write lists like "25 things you probably don't know about me". I wish people did it more often because it is a fun way to get to know your friends better. Wish we could have a "spontaneous" playdate with a nice SLOW conversation about dancing with the kids or cooking or sewing. I would hang on your every word...even if was a 10 minute response :)
p.s. i totally disagree about the witty/clever response thing.
I'm going to add you are beautiful and so good with words!
Well, since you asked, I've discovered I enjoy blogging because it gives me a chance to write. I used to hate writing but when I read your inspirational posts, it makes me want to be able to write like that. And I need to do it if I want to get better so now I kind of enjoy it! Thank you for being my inspiration!
Love you!
Ps. I agree about Pinterest! It's crazy!
Loved this post. I don't get on very often anymore...maybe in another season I will again, but I decided last yr I need to journal more and include myself more too. I haven't had time to do it recently, but I should, because it's therapeutic. And btw, I don't like playdates much either...thought it was just me. :)
I just love you, Heather!
Post a Comment