Back in June last year (a couple weeks before Lady-L was born), we found out that Ryan's dad was diagnosed with Stage 4 Lymphoma. It was scary, unknown, really advanced, overwhelming, intimidating, and difficult. Ry's parents told us over the phone, and when they came out to meet Lady-L when she was born we still didn't have many answers as to treatment. Bit by bit questions were answered and he started chemotherapy. The cancer had spread all over, but they were hopeful and optimistic.
A few months later, in October, we received another phone call from Ryan's parents telling us they discovered that my mother-in-law had breast cancer. Once again it was scary, overwhelming, and difficult. My father-in-law is such a good man, and loves to use humor to help ease tension or worries, so he would say, "Ya know, we're best friends and we like to do things together!" Cancer included.
{Lady-L's blessing day, 07.18.10}
{Lady-L is named after Ryan's father}
{Lady-L is named after Ryan's father}
So right in the middle of my father-in-law's chemo treatments, my mother-in-law had a double mastectomy and reconstruction.. Results were good that she was cancer free, and recovery was the last thing to concentrate on. It continues to be the goal as she has experienced four surgeries since then trying to combat infections and complications.
Recovery is this elusive term that seems to keep hovering over them but never quite settling. However, we are all incredibly grateful for their progress and continue to be hopeful for this to be done with. It has been a difficult time for Ry and I to be so far from family, and we cherish those days spent with them over Thanksgiving. Our faith and hope in the Plan of Happiness has deepened as has our love for one another.
Why share this now? Because I think that I am the luckiest person in the world to know and love these two phenomenal people and to have their love in return. And my sister-in-law is challenging us all to sign up for a Race for the Cure this year and I wanted to extend the challenge to everyone I know. She has started a blog sharing a little bit of their story, in addition to a growing list of all those who sign up to run. I love this idea and loving tribute to two of the most amazing people I have ever met. Ryan and I will DEFINITELY be running for them, and I hope that you will too.
{G & C with all their grandchildren, 11.26.10}
You can find my sister-in-law's blog HERE if you would like to read more and sign up.
We love you Nonnie and PopPop!


6 comments:
Man, I hate cancer. I'm so sorry you and your family are going through this.
Race for the cure, baby. Doug and I might be joining your ranks for my dad--we'll keep Ryan's parents in our hearts too!
I will not be running this year... I'm pregnant! But if you need sponsors, let me know. I'd definitely love to donate. It's such a good cause.
Sending good thoughts to your family.
Heather, you are so great! Thank you for you love and support. We are so excited to see you in a few days:)
Love Cassie
We Love your Nonnie and PopPop too!!!
I'm sorry that you and yours are going through this. I will definitly keep them in my prayers!
Wow, Heather I am not sure how to thank you for such a beautiful tribute and for the strength and love we feel from you. Having you and the kids here these last few days during a time of definite ups and downs, was so uplifting and fun. You are a ray of sunshine to us all! Thank you so much! xo C
Post a Comment