Wednesday, August 14

moments in may

The problem with not keeping up on blogging for me is that I lose my memory so dang fast! May came and went, as does every other month, but I have very little to document of it. If I were to go by my camera photos alone, there would only be two days in May! 

 L-man had a birthday party to go to at a local strawberry farm. I could have just dropped him off, but wanted some strawberries for myself so we decided to make it a family outing. 

 They had this kids' maze set up and the kids loved it!

 Sweet L-man tried to carry his sister around ... but it didn't last very long.

 This was later in the season than we went last year, and look how few ripened berries there are! We were overwhelmed with rain this spring and summer. So much so that a lot of the farms were struggling to keep plants alive and thriving without any glimpse of the sun for weeks! 

 But we made the most of it and still found a few to bring home!

 And looking at these photos remind me of something - Lady-LE had an accident with the hot stove and burned her fingers. It happened in the evening, and her screaming woke up Daddy who was sleeping due to his night shift schedule. She absolutely refused to open her hand to show us the burn, and after trying to figure out a plan of action for over an hour we just gave her some children's ibuprofen and we all went to bed. We seriously could not get a good view of it at all, no matter what we tried, and she fell asleep holding her boo-boo buddy. 
The next morning it was the same story, and finally when Daddy came home from his shift we found a way to let her open her hand so we could evaluate. All four fingers had big blisters down the whole length. :( Poor girl. We got some medicated ointment for it, and special bandages to keep it clean and dry. We kept it wrapped for over two weeks, changing the bandages twice a day. She became quite talented at using just one hand, and I was grateful that it was the light-jacket kind of weather and we didn't have to struggle with long sleeves or heavy coats. 
Seriously! This girl has made Ryan's profession very necessary in this family! 

 A funny story to go along with the burn accident though - it happened right before L-man's preschool was working on their Mother's Day crafts, which included one of those questionnaires for the child to answer questions about their mom. Many of the questions related to this burn incident, and how "smart" I am to know that we shouldn't touch the stove when it is hot. Glad there was a take-home message even for him throughout the whole deal! Sheesh ... don't want to live through that again.
{another side note about it all - have I ever mentioned how L-man cries uncontrollably if his sister gets hurt? Holy cow. He's always done it, but this time around it was really bad because they were both just crying and crying loud forever. He's very empathetic I tell you. Whew!}

The only other photo memory we have from May is L-man's last day of preschool. Words cannot describe just how dearly I love this preschool! They had their sing-a-long on the last day again, and this time we were fully prepared with knowledge of every song. Lady-LE was singing along right beside me because we've watched those VBS music videos all.year.long. :) And L-man did not disappoint in his enthusiasm for it all. He was such a ham and performer! Cracked me up!

We were really sad to say goodbye to his teachers. Man alive they were good. 
He is super excited and ready to start kindergarten in the fall. We have loved and appreciate this preschool so much for helping prepare him and provide such a phenomenal atmosphere of love and learning. Lady-LE gets to start at the same preschool in the fall, and I must admit that I might be more excited than she is! :) It's been a great year, and summer here we come!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

that burn incident would scare me to death, not going to lie. Especially if both kids were inconsolable. I think I might become a puddle too.

Angela said...

Man, I think I would have join the crying choir! Poor girl!
And L looks so cute in that picture with his school friends. Yay for great schools and teachers. I'll miss that when we move.