Monday, May 24

best friends

Meet L's cousin "Baby A" - although she's not much of a baby anymore!

These two are about 3 months apart in age and are absolute best friends. It has been such a treat to have my sister and her family live so close this past year, especially for these two! Her name was L's first word! Even before Mama! He knows EXACTLY how to get from our house to her house, and if we go any other direction he gets sad and says "no, this way! A's home!" pointing the other way. And whenever we see a Toyota Sienna (the vehicle my sister drives) he immediately yells, "A's car!" - and he nails it every time, even before I see it or can tell what kind of van it is. This kid has great attention to detail, especially when it involves his cousin.

Their relationship has evolved from complete admiration with only physical means of expressing it to continued admiration with the ability to play together. In the beginning he would talk and talk about her and get so excited to see her, then walk right up to her and shove her onto the ground! It took a good couple months to teach him to not push her - but that just evolved into him giving her these huge bear hugs and clobbering her onto the ground still trying to 'love' her. It felt like her petite little figure just begged L to physically crush her!

{L's not scowling - I promise. They were both really happy, he just happened to be looking a different direction and chewing at the same time ...}

Later it changed to L telling Baby A what to do and getting mad at her if she wasn't playing with him. He would tell her "no" if she played with something (or someone) else, and tried to control whatever she did. She just seemed content to do whatever, but L was very adamant and demanded her attention. I babysat Baby A a few days ago, and was able to watch the two of them interact without anyone else around. They were amazing together! Kids their age should still be doing parallel-play, but these two specifically play WITH each other and it is so fun to watch!

My sister's family will probably be moving within the next two-three months, and L will miss Baby A. I'm not sure how the transition will go, and I'm terribly nervous to drive anywhere in UA once they're gone for fear of L crying because we're not going to Baby A's house. How do you explain someone moving away to a two-year-old?! And as much as I'd like to blame the move for being hard on L, I have to admit that it will probably be harder on me. But for fear of breaking down and crying too hard, I'll keep blaming my worries about the move on him ... sometimes it's easier to hide behind your kid. And when it comes to the emotions of a pregnant girl, it's definitely easier.

So here's my tribute to L's favorite cousin: Baby A. You are absolutely perfect and we love you a LOT. And that goes for your brother, sister, daddy, and mommy. We need to play a lot more before you move! 

5 comments:

bbfamwagon said...

I'd write a clever comment, but can't hardly see through my own tears! How I love those two little ones and their siblings and cousins! Thanks, Heather, for such a sweet post!

Mindora.Mae said...

Oh Heather! I'm with mom and the tears - You are so sweet. It's just not fair that we all live so far apart, and as jealous as I've been, I've also been very happy that you and Tara have had each other so close over the past year. I really hope that someday we can all live in at least the same state. Or maybe we'll all put our money together, get Dave a plane and just be able to visit whenever we want!!! It's a good second option at least! :)

Angela said...

I support your ideas Mindy! That is a sweet post Heather. I so hope we can live close to each other someday. I don't know how we could make that work being in the AF but it'd be so wonderful!

Tara said...

Heather, that was the sweetest post - living by you has been so so so so good - I'm pretty worried about this next move, too - I've been so spoiled! Thank you for being such a fantastic sister and aunt. I love you & your little family!

Tiffany said...

Hope he's able to have a similar friendship with another little girl with the same name....he's so cute and getting so big!