The stars aligned for this trip of ours on more than one occasion. And one of those times was the timing of the wedding day - it was the day before the annual Lake Powell trip with the C-Family. We had zero expectations for making it this year, and it's been four years since our last trip out there. So when my brother told us the wedding day, we had this glimmer of hope that our trip out to UT might allow us to join R's family for his favorite vacation ever. And finally, not a moment too late, we got R's schedule which allowed us to take the time off! Hooray! So thank you S&A - you chose the perfect day to get married and get us out west. We got to enjoy both sides of our family!!
Lake Powell was everything I'd hoped it would be. Lots of little ones, lots of endless playtime, lots of boat rides, lots of swimming, lots of good food, and lots of being together with family. The only thing I would do differently is somehow figure out how to have deeper, longer conversations with everyone -- it just felt like we were always going and didn't have as much time to stop and get in those good, long adult conversations.
And a huge perk of being together with family, was that we celebrated birthdays a little early and I got a camera!! Joint gift from everyone, and I love it. Man alive do I have a lot to learn, but I'm at least not starting from scratch and have really enjoyed the ability to take photos again. There is something so fulfilling in snapping a button that helps the memory live on. I have taken thousands of pictures already. I'm kind of out of control. None of them are professional quality by any means, but thankfully that's not why I'm doing it. I'm taking the photos to simply enjoy the moment, and challenge myself in the process. It's definitely working.
Enjoy a plethora of photos! (many of which are also from other family members - especially sister-in-law J! Thanks for sharing them!)
That is one happy daddy.
LOVE.
All aboard the Rocket!
"Noodle Island" was right next to our houseboat spot, and it was definitely a hit with the kids. We played there for hours each and every day.
This is what I looked like most of the week. How does this camera work?!
R's aunt and her family joined us this year. J9 & S were hilarious to watch on the tubes!
L-man was crazy cautious about the tubes. One run was definitely enough, and splashing cousin C was his favorite part.
Look! No hands!
Lady-LE got a lot of cuddle time with PopPop. Oh it was so precious.
We all sleep on top of the houseboat together. The first light brings an early morning ski run for those who are die-hards.
Those of us left behind get special cuddles and stories in bed from Nonnie.
And this is our view every morning. What glorious beauty!
Brother-in-law J
Aunt J9
So many kids! We loved playing everywhere possible. Sweet cousin SL had a broken arm, and she was so good to keep it out of the water. Not an easy task when there are so many other kids swimming all around you!
Brother-in-law J and kids.
Loving every chance he could get to wake board. R was determined to nail the same jumps and flips he did the last time we were there four years ago. I love watching him, even when he scares me half to death.
Me: error on the side of caution all the time if pain might be involved
Ry: hold on as tight as he can to prove himself
Just one of the differences between us.
We all had a lot of fun trying out this surfboard brought by R's cousins this year. Definitely fun! Sister-in-law C definitely rocked it.
"Little Boat, Little Boat, this is Branch Office, over."
The W family. A perfect addition to the Powell crew!
Uncle S is truly a kid at heart, and was constantly swimming and playing with all the little kids. This time around he helped the little ones climb on the huge tube and jump off. Yay!
One afternoon we took a quite ride over to see some cool Indian ruins.
The kids loved going into the buildings built right on the rocks. Seriously cool.
Brother & Sister-in-law J&C. Love these two.
My heart has completely melted.
R has the special responsibility of bringing a first aid kit to Powell this year. And we are all glad he did! In an effort of loading a potato gun, B found his finger in between a sledge hammer and a shaved down end of a pvc pipe. With the help of the nurses on board, R got to work.
He had all of our attention the entire time.
Sweet R was taking his responsibility so serious, and everyone else (patient included) were all cracking jokes. And J got it all on video. Seven stitches later, and B was good to go!
One day we chose to go cliff jumping. It once again revealed a telling difference between Ry and me.
I'll embarrassingly let the pictures speak for themselves.
The kids were all so cute and excited to do their own 'cliff jumping'. They could have stayed here all day long if we let them. It was so fun!
After days of clearing out 'pinch-ey sticks' from under the water we concluded the slide to be safe. Let the games begin!
I think L-man missed the 'no hands' memo. :)
Yay for family pictures!!
The W-family. Seriously some of the best people in the world. So happy we got to be there and spend time with them!
The C-family. Being with family just feels so good. Love them.
The last night Aunt J9 had Lady-LE wrapped around her little finger (or the other way around?). The fireworks outside were too loud for this little girl, so Aunt J9 played and sang with her inside the whole time. The moon song is a frequently requested song now, and I'm so grateful we recorded her singing it so we could learn it ourselves. This will always be a special memory to me.
While the boats were getting all packed up and ready to slip out, the kids had a great time playing on the beach. Running out of the water up the hill, and then straight back down. Oh it was so fun!
Three oldest kids in the W family. We finally got the perfect jumping picture!
Lady-LE didn't want to feel left out and wanted a jumping picture too.
These two older boys were awesome. L-man simply worshiped them and still talks about his good friends. They would go down the slide with him, play silly games in the water with him, fish with him, go on boat rides with him, everything. Sure wish we lived closer to more family!
This sweet little lady doesn't smile at all when prompted. I had a goal of getting a smiling picture of her the whole week at Powell, and the last day I finally got it. Love her.
What a perfect time! Oh I miss everyone so much already. Wish we could do it all over again, and never stop.


4 comments:
Oh my goodness -- I was looking and looking for L in this last family picture and finally realized he was up on top with. the. big. kids.!! What a wonderful trip, I'm so glad you were able to be there -- and what a great post, thanks for sharing!
Okay, now I can officially say, "Great pictures! What is your secret?!". They look awesome.
And I bet Ry felt so cool putting those stitches in. It looked pretty cool. Doesn't it still seem like that shouldn't be allowed?
What an awesome post! These pictures are beautiful and it looks such a fun get together!
Oh I love reliving every minute...What a wonderful week! We loved every bit of it! Thanks for the reminder!! xo C
Post a Comment